This is a wonderful soup for any season, but especially between seasons when our bodies need as much support as they can get to transition smoothly into the new climatic and energetic circumstances. The sweet potato and carrots are nourishing to your digestive system with easily integrated nutrients, and the ginger is a wonderful component to any dish if you want to fire up your stomach fire and make digestion go more smoothly.
1. Chop 2 strips of extra-fatty bacon (this will act as your grease) into small slivers and put in a soup pot over medium-low heat. Alternately you can use two tablespoons of coconut oil or butter.
2. Add one onion, 3 cloves to a head of garlic, and 1-3 inches of ginger, all coarsely chopped, and stir into the greased pot.
3. Chop up a bunch of carrots and one large sweet potato (sweet potatoes have white meat. If you prefer you can alternately use a yam to give the soup to have a richer orange color) and add them to the pot.
5. Use an immersion blender and puree the soup until all the ingredients are smooth.
6. Pour a tablespoon of cold-pressed olive oil into each bowl, season with salt or soy-sauce and pepper as desired, and garnish with parsley or cilantro. This is a good dish serve with greens, like salad in spring or summer or cooked leafy greens for any season. It is also delicious with a runny-yolked fried egg on top.